Background picture of aircraft flying taken by Al Meservy

Uneasy Flight By: Frances M. McCrory-Meservy July 1965

Al found us a furnished apartment two miles from ET "A" school. It had a kitchen, living room and bedroom. There were no doors between the rooms, just large arches. We had to share the bathroom (located on the porch) with the couple next door.

My Mom took me to the airport and put me on a plane for Chicago. As the plane was taking off, it hit me hard that I was going to live in a strange city with a stranger.

A nice man got on the plane in St. Louis and sat beside me. It was obvious how nervous I was and he thought this was my first plane ride. When he found out why I was nervous, he encouraged me and bought me a mixed drink to help calm me down.

I was a nervous wreck by the time the plane landed in Chicago. I was the last person off the plane and Al thought I had chickened out by the time I came off.

Alís lieutenant had brought him to OíHare to pick me up. He offered to stop and let us eat on the way back but I was so nervous I was not hungry. After Al and I were alone for a couple of hours, I was relaxed and starving to death. He walked a mile to get me a hamburger at Midnight.

We did not have a car and, at first, we had to walk everywhere. We didn't mind because we had each other. It was fun setting up housekeeping even though a lot of things were makeshift.

We rented an old Muntz black and white TV that ran a lot. We rented linens, pots & pans and dishes, iron and ironing board, etc. from Navy Relief.

I had shipped all our household goods by train. All our stuff was lost. We had to rent everything we needed from Navy relief for three months until our stuff was found.

We didnít have a telephone so I would call the station once a week until the answer was "we found the missing box car and youíre shipment. "

Jane, who lived across the parking lot from us, took me down to the train station in Chicago to collect our goods. We felt like we were on a treasure hunt going through the boxes after we got home.

Dennis, Janeís husband, gave Al a ride to work and home each day. Jane took me to the commissary with her when she went so I could get groceries. Dennis and Jane were terrific people and we became fast friends. Later when we were all stationed in VA, Jane and I would tour all the historic sites in VA and North Carolina while our husbands were out to sea. Jane was from Durham, NC and knew where everything was.

We lived in North Chicago next to Waukegan just a few blocks from Lake Michigan. In August, we went to the beach to see the Thunderbirds air-show. After the air show, the water looked inviting. I ran and jumped in. I turned blue as I went in because the water was ice cold. I got out of the water faster than I got in. Al wrapped a beach towel around me to get me warm. Everyone except me knew better than to jump in the lake.

We also lived a few blocks from Abbotís Pharmaceutical plant. When the wind was just right, the odor was oppressive. Made a paper mill smell sweet. When it was hot and the wind was blowing from the factory, we would close the windows and roast rather then endure the smell. Thank God it did not blow our way very often. To this day when the Doctor gives me a prescription and the pill has a square a on it, I always wonder what is in their pills that smelled so bad.

Al only made $200.00 ($92 of that paid the rent) per month and that left no room for extras. There was definitely no extra for a car.

Prov 29:25 The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe.

Phil 4:19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Unequally Yoked

I've Seen & Heard of Jesus