Background picture of our 1st mobile home in Casterton's Trailer Park Norfolk, VA (our home from July 1966 - Spring 1973/Navy moved it from Norfolk VA to Buna TX to Quonset Point RI) pictures taken by Fran Meservy

VIRGINIA By: Frances M. McCrory-Meservy June 1966

When Stephi was six weeks old, Al found us an apartment. Stephi and I rode a Greyhound bus from Beaumont, TX to Norfolk, VA. It sounds like it would really be hard with a baby; but, everyone helped me along the way and I really enjoyed the trip.

When the bus would stop so we could eat, either someone would hold Stephi while I got off the bus for a few minutes or they would get something for me.

We had to change busses in Atlanta. There were sailors from everywhere heading to Norfolk. They were all homesick and missed little brothers or sisters. They took turns holding Stephi and carrying my bags for me. They were terrific.

Greyhound bus drivers were just going on strike and all the busses were not running. The bus out of Atlanta was so packed there was standing room only. And there were a lot of guys standing. It was a long way to Norfolk but they stayed jovial all the way and took turns sitting and standing.

Stephi was an Angel. She never cried the whole trip. She just slept and ate up the attention when she was awake. I enjoyed the scenery and the folks on the bus.

Al was waiting when we got to Norfolk. He collected Stephi and me; but they had lost our luggage and household goods. So much for not shipping it by train.

We moved into the apartment and all seemed well until a week later. The police found a dead body in our back yard. Al asked around and the area we were in was not a good neighborhood. It was the only place where the rent was cheap enough for us to afford.

Al went out and bought us a mobile home (10 X 51 with 9 X 4 tip out in the living room). He rented a lot in Castertonís Trailer park and we moved the next day. We really loved living there and it was in a good part of town. Al always made sure we were safe.

Three weeks after I arrived, Greyhound had still not found my luggage or household goods. They just hemmed and hawed about the strike.

I went down to the station and talked to the manager. I explained to him that I had 5 days birth control pills left. I could not get an appointment with the base doctor for a month and the prescription for more pills was in my suitcase. I told him that if they did not find my suitcase in time and I got pregnant, I would sue them for the cost of having the baby, raising the baby and sending the child to college.

Two days later, Greyhound miraculously found my luggage and household goods. Everything had ended up in New York. Al and I picked our stuff up the next day.

We moved into Casterton's trailer park and loved it there.

I met Alice and started going to a Baptist Church near the park with her. I started working with the Girls Auxiliary.

Phil 4:3 And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.

Heb 10: 24-25 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the day approaching.

Unequally Yoked

I've Seen & Heard of Jesus