Background of David when he was 3 weeks old in Norfolk Virginia July 1968 taken by Fran Meservy

MIRACLE BABY By: Frances M. McCrory-Meservy July 1, 1968

When Stephi was 9 months old, I got a vagina infection. I went to the doctor and he prescribed a sulfur cream. The 5th day I used it I had blisters everywhere the cream touched. I went back to the doctor and he informed me that no one was allergic to sulfur. He also said, "I know Navy wives and you just come in for attention and the thrill of the exam." I threw something at him, got up, went downstairs to a pay phone and called the Commodore in charge of the base hospital. I told him what happened. He told me to go back upstairs and ask to see Dr. Eely. He would call him and ask him to see me.

I went back up and told the receptionist what the Commodore told me. She said I could not see Dr. Eile without an appointment and it had to be made 3 months in advance. I told her I would sit on her desk as long as it took. She got up and went to talk to the Doctor and Dr. Eely told her to send me in.

I told him what happened and he did an exam. He said I had blisters everywhere; the infection had spread into my uterus and had already done so much damage that I probably would not be able to ever get pregnant again. He put me on the correct medication and told me that when I wanted to get pregnant, if I couldnít, he would see what he could do to help. He also said if I did get pregnant, it would be hard to carry the baby to full term; but that he could help with that also.

When Stephi was a little over one year old, I got pregnant again. I had a miscarriage in July at 6 weeks. I got pregnant again in October 1967 and had a very difficult time. I felt fine; but, if I did anything, I would start to hemorrhage. I had to stay seated or laying down for nine months. I had wonderful neighbors who helped; but it was not easy.

I saw Dr. Eely once a week and he gave me a shot once a month to help me carry the baby.

David was easy on me: he slept all the time and hardly ever moved. I only looked four or five months along when I had him.

Two weeks before David was due and the ship was due back from the North Atlantic, I started hemorrhaging at 1 AM. One of Alís friends took Stephi to Aliceís house and me to the hospital.

A nurse checked me over and put me on a gurney in the hall. She said someone would be right out to check me. I fell asleep and Dr. Hutchinson woke me up at 10 AM. He asked me how long I had been there. When I told him, he was obviously upset. He took me into an examination room and checked me over.

The Doctor said I had placenta previa and the placenta had broken loose from the uterus and was floating. He was surprised I had managed to carry the baby as long as I did. He told a nurse he needed an operating room in five minutes.

The nurse said there were none available and he could not do surgery without permission from the Chief of staff and he was in Washington DC. He told her if she had to build a wing on the hospital, she had five minutes to do it.

He then explained to me that David and I had lost too much blood and David had been without oxygen too long. He needed me awake so I could tell him how I felt during surgery. He also explained that David would have a better chance if he was not drugged before he was delivered.

I was given a spinal that numbed me from head to toe. After David was delivered, they whisked him away without me seeing him. A few minutes later it felt like someone set a truck on my chest. The technician told Dr. Hutchinson that my blood pressure was 60/40. The next I knew they were wheeling me out of OR on a gurney.

I have had several Drs. Tell me that I probably had a heart attach on the table and thatís why my internal thermostat doesnít work right, why I get fluid retention, why I get winded easily.

I woke up to a woman screaming only to find out that it was me. Dr. Hutchinson came in and told me that David was in critical condition; but he was holding his own. He sat and talked to me until I drifted off to sleep again. Dr. Hutchinson was a wonderful caring physician and it really aggravates me that a Dr. Scaring is on Davidís birth certificate. I never met the man.

David and I had lost so much blood that we were both in critical condition. I woke up in a private room in the officerís section of Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, VA. Every time I asked how my baby was, they would give me a shot to knock me out.

I vaguely remember Barb and Alice coming to see me. I was in a haze. Al came home four days after David was born and they told us about David. David was without oxygen so long he should have died or been brain damaged at the least. They let me get in a wheelchair so Al could push me down to see him. He was so tiny (21 inches long, 5 lbs. 15 oz.) and there were tubes and wires running everywhere.

They kept David and me in the hospital for two weeks. David was 10 days old before they let me hold him. My brother Sam (age 18) flew out to Virginia to help me after David was born.

When David was in 2nd grade, they did IQ tests at his school. His teacher called me and told me that Davidís IQ was 180. He had not suffered brain damage in spite of the fact that he was without oxygen for several hours before he was born. He is my miracle baby.

Psa 102:28-103:4 The children of Your servants will continue, And their descendants will be established before You." Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with loving-kindness and tender mercies,

Psa 147:13 For He has strengthened the bars of your gates; He has blessed your children within you.

1 Tim 2:14-15 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

Unequally Yoked

I've Seen & Heard of Jesus